Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Depression is NO JOKE!!

Having to deal with depression is really nothing to laugh at. It is unfortunate that our society still looks at it with comical eyes. 
The other day I posted a comment on my wall. It was really one of those 'sub-post'.. directed at specific individual who was tagged in the post.  I made it seem as if I was screaming through the house, because of something she told me. Then out of the blue, here comes another person with a 'smart' comment. 'Take your meds'.  Umm .. okay. I DO actually take medication.. however.. even though he meant it in a joking way, I was kinda offended by his comment. The point I'm trying to make is; how did he know whether or not I took medication?  He didn't, but these are off handed comments that we throw around too easily.
As I sit and write this blog, I am struggling with the words and the courage to actually post it. Not sure of the 'backlash' I have to speak my truth as I see it. I hope people realize that mental health is just important as physical health. They actually go hand in hand. As I continue to open up about my problems, I hope I can heal myself, and maybe help someone else who's feeling the same way.  

I just saw this quote on face book: 
"Don't let circumstances get you down or depress you. Depression is of the enemy and reflects a weak mind. I know you are strong because you've made it this far. Thru past trials and struggles, you came out victorious. Stay hopeful and KNOW that God provides you with a garment of protection against all things that are not of him, all acquaintances that wish you harm and all financial burdens. Stand tall, come out of your slump and get your mind right."

The quote that stood out about the weak mind, shows an example of the ignorance that is still associated with mental health. So, If you are depressed you have a WEAK MIND!? Wow, really?.. I'm still trying to find a positive way to take that statement, but I still don't see it.  
This is the kind of attitude that prevents us from opening up to people, which in turn, leads to MORE depression. It's just a vicious cycle. 

*I wrote this blog in stages.. as it took many days to compose my thoughts like I wanted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment