Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Pride over Pain

 Over the past 10 years I’ve been dealing with chronic back pain.  And oh what a ride it has been.  One thing that I’ve learned from this is that it definitely depends on your mindset.  While it can be rather infuriating to have doctors insinuate that your pain is all in your head, the way you handle the pain greatly depends on a healthy mindset.  I’ve had multiple opportunities to test this theory. 
 One particular topic or issue is putting your pride aside to deal with the pain.  Most recently I was standing in line trying desperately to shift my weight  from foot to foot in order to distribute the weight between the two legs and try to accommodate for the pain that was forth coming. I saw a lady standing with the cane, and I thought to myself why is that.? Why is it that I never think to use my cane when the answer came to me. Because of my pride.  There is a certain spirit in me that didn’t want to rely on a cane for assistance.  The reality is, sometimes in life we have to put our pride to the side and take whatever help that is there for us.  It’s OK to take help, it is not a sign of weakness.  My spirit is the same regardless of my outer shell.  And for that I give thanks. 
~ peace and rhythm 🙏🏽

4 comments:

  1. I just came across this but if you are still dealing with back pain, I can't recommend Stuart McGill enough. He saved me after dealing with back pain for two decades. His book "Back Mechanic" is probably the easiest and most accessible of his work, but he has plenty of youtube videos you might find helpful as well. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please look into Dr. Stuart McGill's work. He saved me after dealing with back issues for two decadeas. There is hope. He has youtube videos and his books "Back Mechanic", "Gift of Injury" (with Brian Carroll), and "Ultimate Back Fitness and Performance" are all great resources. "Back Mechanic" might be the easiest and most accessible to anyone. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete