Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Who Was Your First?"

Who remembers their first?  I do. I must have been about 13 years old. Hahaha I know what you're thinking, but I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the first ALBUM you ever remember owning. Mine was Teena Marie~It Must Be Magic. I think a neighbor bought it for me because they got tired of my borrowing theirs. LOL ! I was a teen, what can I say?! Plus it was Teena Marie!! I guess she was my 'Beyonce' at the time. I LOVED Teena Marie and that album was everything for me.
 
 Circa 1981
 I played that album over and over again. That was back in the day when you couldn't WAIT to get to the sleeve part of the album to see if the words were included. YES!! OMG! It was over then. I know folks must have been mad at me, but I had to play it multiple times in order to learn all the words right? And let me tell you.. Teena was DEEP baby! I had no idea what half the things she was singing about, but she SANG to me!! She had to be one of THE first female singers to use RAP in her songs. The title cut of course was the Jam!! and I could NOT sit still when 'Square Biz' came on, and ya KNOW "Portuguese Love" had me 'all in my feelings'. But once you get to the more meaningful songs like; 'Where's California' and 'Yes Indeed' (ending still gives me chills) and revolutionary songs like 'Revolution'; I didn't know which way to go. Hell, Teena probably spark this 'rebellious' nature of mine. She used words that were still foreign to me, and talked about Authors and Singers that I had yet to discover.  She made you think, while she played and sang her ass off. I will still listen to this album (okay CD form now) from beginning to end and let that angelic voice sing to me about all the right AND wrong things in this world.  All these years later and it still rings true.  Yeah, Teena had that 'magic touch'.

No comments:

Post a Comment