Friday, July 12, 2013

'The Movie~Fruitvale Station'

~Today is the limited release of the film "Fruitvale Station". These are my random thoughts. 

Being from Oakland, it's gonna be a trip to see a major film focused on the city I grew up in, but even more so now, since I live in the general area of the Fruitvale Bart Station.  This is the BART station closest to my house, this is MY BART, when I use it. It is gonna be crazy seeing 'my hood' on the big screen!!
When this incident occurred 4 years ago I didn't actually live in Oakland, I had been away for over 20 years. But, as fate would have it, I moved back to Oakland.. and had kinda come full circle in that I ended living in the same area I did when I had my first apartment. 

Near Fruitvale Bart~one night last week
 
Though I lived out of the city, the impact of the death of Oscar Grant was felt all over California. Once again we were reminded of Rodney King, but on a larger scale. We just could NOT believe that cop shot that young man while he was unarmed (in front of so many witnesses!!) Come to find out he was related to one of my cousins. Oakland is big and a small world at the same time. While the out come of the film is sad,  I'm really interested in seeing how they bring the characters and the city to life. Good or bad, I 'hella' love Oakland and I am PROUD to be from such an amazing place.

No comments:

Post a Comment