Friday, April 1, 2011

My Hair Story-Why It's Such a Big Deal~ Part II

Let me start this blog by saying; I am really lucky to have hair.  This next heartbreaking story really brings to life the complexity of having hair or of NOT having any.  Yeah, I've been bald at one point in my life, so I truly cherish the hair on my head.
Me and my dog Tio


The time was Spring of 1988. My daughter was about 8 months old, so I had that pregnancy length.  My hair was the longest it had ever been at that point. Unfortunately during this time, I was unable to go to get my hair done at the shop..(as I had been doing up till then).. so I let a 'friend' perm my hair.  She had a licensed so I was confident that she knew what she was doing. "I'll get your hair straight".. I'll neva forget those words... Ugh how we hate our hair.. But anyway, we continued with the process, but let me make this statement. I'm not sure if it was the 'old perm' or the fact that I had color on my hair, or a combination of both things; but I really thought she knew what she doing...And then again; maybe she did...
Circa 1990-2 yrs later

Anyway as I sat with the perm on my head; I had no premonition of what was to come.  I don't remember feeling any pain, or thinking that anything was wrong...Until we went to wash it out.  I could just FEEL the hair leaving my scalp.. Yeah it was straight alright..straight off my head..Like WOW!!!  I could NOT believe it!! All my long hair down the drain..literally..I was SICK!! I think.. to be honest, I probably blocked out most of it.  When I did recover from the shock and went to my regular hair dresser with my heart (and hair) in my hand I said.."What can you do?"  The next 4 words were hard to hear~ 'Cut it all off'..
WHEEEETTTT??? Now I was in shock again.. Well needless to say, I had to 'wear' my little buzz cut until my best friend could braid it..Yes!! it was too short to braid!! *Life lesson # 567  I tell ya.. the adverse things we endure makes us stronger.  Believe me it was not easy to walk around the streets of Oakland with no hair....especially in the 80's.  But I survived and now I am really happy with my nappy hair.
All twisted up after a wash

3 comments:

  1. Oh Wow..... I completely understand your point. I never want to go through that



    -KBrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I didn't know you were completely bald! I couldn't imagine going through it! You're so strong! I love you Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspiring Lizz ... I lost all my hair in my early teens due to the lack of knowledge of perms while taking meds .... horrific!

    ReplyDelete