Tuesday, March 8, 2016

The Story of 'Gert'

'Gert' ~ It's an unknown term of endearment, that I'm sure you've never heard before. It's one of those sayings that just evolved over time. One of my OHS classmates was NOTORIOUS for making up words and phrases and some have lasted the test of time. Gert is one of them.

Imagine a 'generic' name for one of your closest girl friends.. one that know most if not ALL your secrets.. that's what a Gert is. It's a name you call your friend while expressing some sort of excitement. 'Gert! you'll never guess who called me last night!'.. 'Gert, did you get your tickets yet!?'

For the last 20 years or so.. Gert had been put to bed, it was gone from my vocabulary. I hadn't used that term for a very long time.  It wasn't until I came into contact with one of my 'Gerts' from the past that I started using it again. I didn't realize how much I missed it. It's nice to have a 'Gert' again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment