Tuesday, March 29, 2016

That's Bantu Knots To YOU....

My hair journey over my life has been just that.. a JOURNEY! I've shared some of my experience in previous post, but this post it about a current hair trend that I wanted to address.  When I first decided to 'loc' my hair back in 2005 I had to do research and be re-introduced to my original hair texture. I read books, yeah a BOOKS because I wasn't on the internet like that back then. But I'm sure I watched a few YouTube videos as some point. 
 Keep in mind at that time not too many sisters was rocking natural hair styles, so no matter how I wore my hair it would be noticeable.  As my locs began to grow, I had to figure out ways to 'manage' this growth I had never had before. One method I learned was the Bantu Knots. After washing my hair, I was left with semi damp tresses, so I needed a way to make sure my hair 'set' until it dried. This would make my locs curly AND 'protected' so to speak.
 
 
*Fast-forward 2016~ NOW I see the' dominate culture' has been wearing this style and calling it something new.. NEW TO who? YOU? *Ahem excuse me, but like I said..
I found this style in a BOOK
not on a damn run way!! I just don't understand how you can jack a certain hair style and call it NEW.. without at LEAST doing some research first?  It's such a slap in the face to the originators of said creation.
I know you might say.. it's just a hair style. And I say.. yeah, I know, but it's just the principle, ya know? Even ancient goddesses knew what was up. I saw a picture of this one in a jewelry store once. I just so happen to had washed my hair the day before and had twisted into Bantu Knots. The owner looked at my hair and looked at the picture and said.. 'same hair style'... and I looked and say.. 'you know I think it is'. See... 'we BEEN doing this'!! Ase'!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment