Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My Thoughts~ Maybe I Should Get a Gun Too?

I was having a conversation with a family member and he told me that my Aunt had recently purchased a gun. Now, I wasn't quite sure why she felt the need to own a gun and he explain to me why she felt she needed one. From my understanding it has something to do with all the illegal's (Mexicans) in her neighborhood. He said that since she lived alone and had to park her car in a detached garage, she feared for her safety when she comes home late at night. I am sure when she bought her home over 20 yrs ago; she was mostly surrounded by Whites. Now that she is out numbered, well maybe this makes her feel a bit threatened. Now mind you my Aunt is 60 yrs old has not had much experience (that I know of) with guns, so my concern was that she might hurt herself or someone she loves. I asked my uncle if he thought she would be able to actually shot someone and his response was yes! He mentioned that she has been going to the gun range but since she is a 'law abiding citizen' she was inclined to follow the laws as they are written here in California. You are not permitted to carry a loaded weapon on you while entering and leaving your home.

So with this provision in the law, how then is she supposed to "protect" herself? This defeats the whole reason why she even has a gun. So I am not sure how she is handling this situation.

But what I don't understand is; what is the purpose of getting a gun?

I mean, here she is this Christian woman who regularly attends church, is actively involved with the church and its members. Teaches bible study class, but yet she has so little faith in God that she feels so 'unprotected'. I am trying to understand the coalition between being this upstanding God fearing American, and having the 'need' to carry a gun? We no longer live in the "Wild West, where everyone is having shootouts. Now mind you, I live here, I know that there as some areas in which violence is a way of life. But it seems for those individuals who 'choose' to live their lives in constant danger are more likely to die in a violent way; most of the time shot by someone. But when you listen to the Sara Palin's and the Tea Party folks, this is the mass hysteria brewing regarding gun laws the rights of American. We are being led to believe that you have this right to bear arms.. Well the theory behind that may have been a good one initially, but I don't see why so called "god fearing Christians" should be running around ready to shoot at the first person that looks like a Mexican, or anyone else who might be a threat.

    I too live alone and my neighborhood is not the best, but I have never felt the need to own a gun, nor do I feel like I am at risk of being attacked. Maybe I am naive when it comes to these things but if faced with an intruder or an attacker, I don't think I would be able to defend myself in time even if I did own a gun. Instead I try to focus on knowing that I have good spirits around that protect and guide me and also, I try not to give too much attention to negative thoughts.

If you live your life the best way you can, try not to cheat anyone and have an overall good will toward your fellow man, the chances of being shot, or attacked are very slim. And, and; if you did get attacked; wouldn't that be gods' will?? I think it is very sad how we worry so much about what could happen, and yet we fail to realize that we bring all things (good and bad) on ourselves. I just hope my Aunt doesn't shoot some unsuspecting gardener blowing leaves too close to her house.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I don't know why she decided to get a gun. There's a underlying factor there I believe. I pray nothing happens!

    ReplyDelete